Monday, March 3, 2008

Drug Addicts = Human Beings?


Do you have a drug addicted family member? Do you love that drug addicted family member? I’ll be honest; it’s hard for me to love someone whom does not appear to love themselves. As an outsider looking in, all I see is someone who is always willing to lie, cheat, beg, steal and/or trick to satisfy themselves. Just like some of you, I feel like it’s not my job to care. If you want to kill yourself via smoking, sniffing or shooting, then that’s your business. (Nod your head once if you agree) Don’t worry; I’m not setting you up to feel bad later. I’m just letting some of you know that you are not alone in feeling this way. It’s quite normal to feel the way that you do. Actually, it’s cautiousness.
It has been said and proven true, that the hardest working individuals in America are… the drug addicts. I’m not speaking about the upper and middle-class drug addicts. I’m talking about the poverty stricken, homeless and desperate drug addicts otherwise known as crack-heads. I know this subject is somewhat of a cliché, but let’s not allow that to stop the discussion. If you followed a drug addict around for a day, then you’d probably have to take the next day off. From sunrise to sundown most drug addicts are on the move. Their primary goals are to get high whenever the opportunity arises. Their Ultimate hope is that the next high is just like that first high. So I must ask, have you ever been HIGH? I hear it’s better than sexual orgasms... Have you ever had an orgasm?
Drug addicts are skillful and dedicated to their many crafts. They can lie like Lawyers, beg like your favorite charity and steal like the government. Respectfully, I have to take my hat off and salute these drug addicts. If ever there was a body of people in touch with
Carpe Diem, it would have to be the drug addicts. Think about it… How often do drug addicts procrastinate?
Whenever drug addicts are featured in movies, they are epitomized as if they are another species. They are constantly ignored and mistreated in almost every scene, as if they were objects. I challenge all to take a closer look at the addict that’s being disregarded and ill-treated. Notice that they too are… human. Have you ever been ignored and/or mistreated by a stranger, or family? If so, did you like it? Have you ever wondered what it is like to be an addict?
It is easy for us to pay little or no attention to drug addicts because they are the ones who choose to do drugs. Therefore, we view this as a personal choice. However, if you heard the tale of your typical drug addict, you’d probably think differently. Think about your happiest first time experiences such as falling in love, sex, driving, etc… If you can remember that feeling, multiply it by 10. If you can successfully fathom this thought, then you are probably close to the feeling that a drug addict gets when they get high for the first time. This is a feeling that can’t be ignored instantly and just like any other
endorphin producing experience. Every time they get high, they are hoping that it’s just like first time. If this really is the case with drug addicts, we may want to change our view and realize that drug addicts don’t do drugs… it is the drugs that do the drug addicts.
An addiction of any kind can have anyone acting out of character. When a drug addict steals, begs, lies, or hustles you, it’s probably not personal. If they say that it was the drugs that made them do it, they are more than likely being truthful. We must collectively arrive to the realization that drug addiction is really a sickness and not just a habit. We can control the course of our habits… we can only tolerate our sicknesses. I really hope this reaches you in a way that will allow you to realize that these “Drug Addicts” are human beings just like you. If you are anything like me, you have ignored because you don’t see the hope. Just like me, you may have mistreated and/or denied assistance because you did not see a personal benefit. Mother Theresa said, "If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other." So, with Caution, I’m asking you to speak with an addict about their struggles with addictions. I know most of us lead busy lives, but let’s try to dedicate a moment or two to someone outside of our comfort zone without focusing on the Quid Pro Quo. Instead, let yourself focus on the possible positive alteration that you can inflict upon someone with little or no hope. Take with you these questions: What will I do? What won’t I do? What can’t I do? What can I do? More importantly…What must I do?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Test

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

asdf

Anonymous said...

Charles you said:

"I know most of us lead busy lives, but let’s try to dedicate a moment or two to someone outside of our comfort zone without focusing on the Quid Pro Quo. Instead, let yourself focus on the possible positive alteration that you can inflict upon someone with little or no hope. Take with you these questions: What will I do? What won’t I do? What can’t I do? What can I do? More importantly…What must I do?"

Have you ever seen What we lost in the fire? Man I am going to post this on Black and Reformed